Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Why MommyJustRun?

I took a year off from teaching when Amy was born. I also ran in the Broad Street Run that spring. I did most of the scheduled runs during the day, so the girls were with me for the majority of them.
Mother's Day 2010, 1 week after the BSR

When I would get tired and slow down or take a walk break, Addison, who was two years old at the time, would say "Mommy just run!" 

She said it in the most innocent and excited way. She knew nothing about self-doubt, motivation, goals, fear, endurance, ability, and so on. She just knew that she loved going for the ride, and I was her Mommy who, to her, could do anything! I was supposed to be running, so I should be running! Duh! 

So, I kept running every time she reminded me, And you know what, I was usually okay. 

"Mommy Just Run" reminds me that I (and I think many grown-ups) get in our own way. With everything. Kids keep it simple. They love to see their parents doing productive things. And they really do think that we can do anything. 

Addison started telling me "Mommy just run," but her sisters followed right along. 

Addison almost 4, Amy 2: "Mommy Just Run!"

Addison 4, Amy almost 3, Aubrey about 8 weeks: "Mommy Just Run!"

Addison 6, Amy 5, Aubrey 2: "Mommy Just Run!" 

Addison 7, Amy 5 (hiding behind the blanket), Aubrey 3: "Mommy Just Run!"

Usually I walk fast because I either have a kid strapped to me and/or a dog with us. They still tell me "Mommy Just Run," but it means more to me than what it says. It means "keep going because....why not?" 

Do I have a perfect body? Nope.
Ideal percentage of body fat? No.
Do my skinny jeans fit? Button: yes. 
Suitable to wear in public? No.
Do my daughters see me active and get to spend time with me while I'm exercising? YES! 

And that's pretty much all that matters to me. I'm not a super athlete or in the most amazing shape, but that's not really what I care about. My kids think I'm pretty awesome and that I can do anything - I'm the luckiest Mom in the world!  


1 comment:

  1. OH! I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!! You are so strong and mighty!! AND inspirational!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete