Tuesday, May 26, 2015

How to Fit BBQ's into a Healthy Lifestyle



Beginning a new lifestyle is challenging. Finding a routine early on is crucial since we are all creatures of habit. Especially when we are working toward a health/fitness goal, we often tend to do and eat the same things every day. We develop a schedule, and we stick to it. That's why weekends are typically a challenge - there's less of a structured schedule.


Well, My brother and sister-in-law were in town last weekend, so my family had BBQ's planned all weekend. The old me would have tossed up my hands and said let's do this! I would have justified NOT being mindful of my meals or activity level because:

"It's rare that everyone is together."
"It's just this weekend."
"One weekend won't make or break my fitness journey."

While all of those statements are true, something else is true too...

"I love my new life. I can easily fit clean-eating and my workouts into this fun, family-filled weekend. That's what I'm going to do because a BBQ or two isn't going to slow me down!"

So that's what I did. I made a game plan. I started with a list of goals for the weekend. Call me cheesy, but it makes me happy to see it written out:



*I really wanted to finish my book, but I put it twice on the list by accident lol
**I chose not to have carbs with dinner so that I could have some corn tortilla chips with guac and not feel left out of the snack situation ;)
*I enjoy a cold, adult beverage on a warm day at a nice gathering. There, I said it. BUT, I'm not willing to let alcohol get in the way of my goals. SO, I picked a day and that was it!
The rest of our weekend consisted of healthy meals and as much activity as possible!! 

SATURDAY:

We had HOURS of dance class before BBQ #1. I started the morning with a jog with those two, packed our stuff, including my healthy lunch-on-the-go ---> SHAKEOLOGY! ;)

SUNDAY:
BBQ #2.... Filled with as much activity as possible! This was my alcohol day, but I did NOT have any carbs with dinner...lotsa protein and veggies :) Then some corn tortilla chips with guac.

MONDAY;
First, I planted flowers in new hanging baskets on the deck railing and the new veggie garden fence. (There's more to come with that veggie garden fence... it's super cheesy but I'm going to LOVE it!!)

Then....
P90X3 Isometrics followed by Lunch...  Strawberry Shakeology + watermelon + mint = WHAAATTT?!?!? Was that a frozen cocktail I just had?!?! Amazing!!!!

Later...a clean dinner and a family walk.... 

The ending to a perfect weekend full of family, fun, fitness, & clean-eating!

<3 nbsp="" p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment